DOT requires certain persons who offer for shipment or transport hazardous materials to register and pay a fee of either $300 (small business fee) or $2,000 (other than small business fee). These registration requirements apply to anyone who offers for transportation at any time:
- Any highway route-controlled quantity of Class 7 (radioactive)
- More than 25 kg (55 lb.) of a Division 1.1, 1.2, or 1.3
(explosive) material in a motor vehicle, rail car, or freight
- A package containing more than 1 L (1.06 qt) of a material
designated by the Secretary as extremely toxic by inhalation
(Division 2.3, Hazard Zone A; or Division 6.1, Packing Group I,
Hazard Zone A).
- A hazardous material in a bulk packaging, container, or tank
having a capacity equal to or greater than 13,248 L (3,500 gal)
for liquids or gases, or more than 13.24 m3 (468 ft3) for solids.
- A shipment other than in a bulk packaging of 2,268 kg (5,000
lb.) gross weight or more of one class of hazardous materials for
which placarding of a vehicle, rail car, or freight container is
- A quantity of hazardous material that requires placarding under
the provisions of 49 CFR 172 Subpart F.
If you fall into any of the regulated categories, you must submit a complete and accurate registration statement on the prescribed DOT Form 5800.2 no later than 30 June for each registration year and pay the applicable $300 or $2,000 fee. Registration is permitted for one, two, or three years on a single registration statement also with the applicable annual fee.
You may obtain a copy of this form with instructions for its completion via the Internet at http://hazmat.dot.gov/register.htm or from the following address:
Hazardous Materials Registration Program, DHM?60
U.S. Department of Transportation
Washington, DC 20590?0001
Telephone: (617) 494?2545 or (202) 366?4109